05 Mar Corporate Wellness: Healthy Snacks for the Office
The Ultimate Guide to Healthy Office Snacking
One of the questions I get asked over and over when I present Corporate Wellness Workshops is ‘can you recommend healthy snacks for the office?’. So I’ve rounded up all of my favourite healthy office snacks to help keep your employees focused happy throughout the day (scroll to the bottom for discount codes too)!
Nuts and Seeds
Keep them raw (or dry roasted) and unsalted, and if you are looking for individual packets Ag Standard Smoked Almonds or Superseedz Pink Himalayan Salt are great. Nut butter packets (such as those from Artisana) are also a convenient option.
Keep it seasonal and low fructose to avoid insulin spikes – choose berries, apples, pears, plums, peaches, etc. And please, ditch the dried fruit as it is super high in sugar and low in fibre.
Avoid ‘energy’ bars and bites (aka sugar-filled, low in nutrients, calorie bombs) and choose a high protein, lower carb option that will keep you fuelled and focussed until your next meal. Great choices include:
Under 15g of carbs
- Bulletproof Collagen Bars
- Epic Bars
- Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel Bars
Under 25g of carbs
- RX Bars
- Vital Protein Collagen Bars
- Orgain – suitable for vegans
Skip the fried potato chips that are typically laden with salt and inflammatory oils, and choose one of these healthier options instead (oh, and swerve the cheese dip and offer veggie-packed guac and salsa too):
- Siete Foods Grain Free Tortilla Chips
- Brad’s Veggie Chips
Choose a cracker packed with nuts and seeds for a more nutrient-dense option than chips and perfect if you are needing that stress-relieving ‘crunch’ on a busy day! I love:
- Jilz Crackers
- Mary’s Gone Crackers
I love Lesser Evil Himalayan Organic Salt or switch it up for chickpea-based options such as Hippeas or Biena, or even new Bohana, which are popped water lily seeds!
For those with a sweet tooth organic dark chocolate can be a great option – I love Lily’s as it is sweetened only with stevia and has a huge range of products, including dark chocolate almonds and even nut butter cups!
Stock Up Your Fridge
Having your fridge stocked up with healthy options enables your team to access fresh, minimally processed foods – keeping hunger at bay at productivity high! I’m a huge fan of ‘prepared, not processed’ foods, especially as quick options on busy days.
Consider the following ideas:
- Cut and washed veggies such as carrots, cucumbers, jicama, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers – with healthy dips such as hummus, guacamole and salsa.
- Sugar-free plant-based yoghurts (such as Lavva), with fresh berries.
Create a Smoothie Bar
This could be as simple or as complicated as you wish – choose an easy to clean, hard-working blender such as the Nutritbullet, and provide these basics to your team:
- Clean protein powder – choose a great plant-based option that is suitable for all diets. My go-to is New Chapter Complete Organic Plant Protein+
- Unsweetened plant-based milk – I love Elmhurst 1925’s UnsweetenedLeafy greens – organic spinach or kale and buy frozen if you have a freezer
- Fibre – chia seeds, ground flaxseed, acacia fibre or psyllium husk
- Good Fat – almond butter or avocado are great choices
Perhaps the number one thing you can do to help your team stay healthy is to ditch soda in the office! Consider offering infused water (with citrus fruit, cucumber, mint or berries), or soda alternatives such as La Croix, Spindrift or Zevia. Provide a great selection of organic coffees and teas, and you could even consider something like Bare Bones Broth Instant Mix as a satisfying alternative!
Elmhurst Unsweetened: Use Code JENNIFERHANWAY20
Bare Bones Broth: Use code JHANWAY15
Thrive Market: Click for a 25% discount