22 Nov Staying Happy and Healthy Through the Holidays!
This post is written in partnership with New Chapter, Vermont-based maker of whole-food vitamins and supplements, however, all opinions are my own. I only work with and recommend companies whose products I love, and I’m so excited to share these with you!
Whilst the holidays may look a little different this year, staying happy and healthy so you can enjoy all this wonderful season has to offer is still so important. I’ve outlined my top tips in partnership with New Chapter to help you thrive through the holidays and feel your best self, whatever your plans!
Build on the Basics
During the holidays I double down on the basics of my wellness routine. For me this means that I’m drinking at least half my body weight in water, moving my body everyday, focussing on foods of maximum nutrient density, making time for my mental health, and taking a great daily multivitamin. I choose New Chapter’s Every Woman’s One Daily Multivitamin as it contains nutrients for general health, stress and energy (so important over the holidays), beauty, bone health and immune support. It’s fermented with whole-food nutrients and formulated for absorption, making it gentle enough to take even on an empty stomach.
Choose Your 80/20 Rule
I definitely indulge my ‘sugar at birthdays and holidays’ rule at this time of year, but that doesn’t mean going crazy for days on end, as my goal is to enjoy my food and feel great every day. For me and my clients this means using the 80/20 rule – for 80% of the day I stick to my typical Lean and Clean style of eating, so for 20% of the day I can enjoy all the holiday fun, including appetizers, entrees, dessert and wine – for me this is 100% worthwhile!
Typically on the holidays I’ll keep my regular meals light and bright, and packed with protein and fibre to keep my hunger at bay and my blood sugar levels steady, which helps me not over-indulge later in the day. Lunch is usually a salad, or soup in colder temperatures, and I always have my sugar free breakfast smoothie to kickstart the day.
My Go-To Morning Breakfast Smoothie
Glowing Green Smoothie Recipe
• 1 serving New Chapter Collagen Glow (optional)
• 1 handful leafy greens
• 1 lemon, peeled and whole
• ¼ avocado
• ¼ zucchini
• 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Happy, Healthy Microbiome
Bloating, gas, and GI distress does not make for a happy, healthy holiday! Travel plus stress combined with extra sugar and an irregular eating pattern can all take its toll on our digestive health. My go-to probiotic for the holidays (and every day) is New Chapter’s Probiotic All-Flora. It’s shelf-stable (no refrigeration needed) so is perfect for travel, and it contains a blend of pre, pro and post biotics (all essential for a healthy microbiome). Specifically, it contains Saccharomyces boulardii, a strain of probiotic that helps reduce GI discomfort, which can be all too common over the holidays.
In addition, try the following tips to keep you gut healthy over the holidays:
• Reduce the amount of sugar you consume – sugar is one of the main nutritional causing of bloating as it feeds the unhealthy bacteria in your gut.
• Manage your stress – stress can cause bloating and discomfort before you even start eating! Never eat in a rush or whilst stressed, try taking a few deep breaths before sitting down for a meal, and be sure to take at least 10 minutes a day to care for your mental health over the holidays
• Happy, Healthy herbal teas – sipping on a warm herbal tea is a perfect way to ease GI discomfort after a large meal. Choose peppermint, fennel or dandelion to help ease bloating and aid digestion.