28 Jul 5 Minute Low Carb Blueberry and Lemon Chicken Salad
This quick and easy low-carb chicken salad recipe is perfect for hot summer evenings when you want something fresh and delicious with a touch of sweetness! This 5-minute recipe is part of my Lean & Clean program, created to help you lose fat and build lean muscle.
I’m constantly trying to find delicious but easy ways to add flavor and interest to summer salads, and when I got a huge delivery of blueberries in my Misfits Market order (use code COOKWME-AE9YPY to save 25% on your first order) I decided to add to them to a salad! Blueberries are one of my favourite fruits as they are packed with health boosting benefits (they are one of the highest food sources of antioxidants) but still low in fructose.
Berries are a fantastic food for weight loss as they are packed full of blood sugar balancing fibre, but their low fructose content means they will not raise your blood sugar or increase insulin secretion (when insulin is secreted it switches your body from ‘fat burning mode’ to ‘fat storing mode‘). Our bodies convert fructose to fat very easily, so I recommend a maximum of 1 cup (or piece) of low sugar fruit a day on my weight loss program, Lean and Clean.
This Dish Took Me Under 5 Minutes To Make!
I always keep cooked chicken (either homemade or store-bought) and washed leafy greens in my fridge for when time is tight, or (quite honestly) when I don’t want to cook. This means I can whip up a protein and veggie packed delicious meal in less than 5 minutes, and saves on dishes afterwards!
Low Carb Blueberry and Lemon Chicken Salad
Yields 2 servings
for the salad
• 2 medium sized chicken breasts, cooked (we love Butcher Box for our pasture raised chicken)
• 4 handfuls of mixed leafy greens (I used baby spinach and arugula)
• 1/4 cup organic blueberries
for the dressing
• 1/2 cup organic blueberries
• zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• salt and pepper to taste
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Dress the leafy greens evenly, then add the chicken breast and top with the extra blueberries.
Don’t eat chicken? I’ve got you!
• Pescatarian: This recipe is great with wild-caught cod.
• Vegan / Plant-Based: Swap the chicken for 2 tablespoons of hemp hearts + 2 tablespoons of walnuts