In honour of St.Patrick’s Day I’m detailing my Top 5 Green Foods for Detox!
- Leafy Greens: of course leafy greens were going to make the top 5! I am to add at least 2 cups of leafy greens to each meal as they are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre, and I especially love dandelion greens and kale for their detox boosting benefits. Typically I’ll add 2 cups of baby spinach or kale to my morning smoothie, have a huge salad for lunch, and add a side salad of leafy greens to my main meal and/or sneak them into a chili, pasta or curry sauce.
- Broccoli: broccoli is beneficial for both Phase 1 and Phase 2 detoxification, and contains specific compounds that help detoxify excess estrogen (excess estrogen can cause weight gain on the hips, triceps and lower belly). My favourite way to cook broccoli is in coconut oil in the oven at a high temp until brown and crispy.
- Cilantro: whilst all fresh herbs have detox boosting benefits cilantro is my favourite as it helps to remove heavy metals from the body. I love to add it to my salads, tacos and in dressings – there is a Cilantro Salsa Verde recipe in 14 Day Detox that is to die for, or you can try out my Cilantro Lime Crema recipe here.
- Pumpkin Seeds: pumpkin seeds are one of the best plant based sources of zinc, a much needed mineral for weight loss, thyroid health and detoxification. They are also packed full of micronutrients needed for Phase 1 detoxification. I love to add pumpkin seed butter to a smoothie, or enjoy them in these Herby Seeded Detox Crackers.
- Avocado: whilst we know and love avocados for their healthy fats, they are also a rich source of glutathione, an antioxidant needed for Phase 2 detoxification.
Looking for more help with detoxification? You’ll love my 14 Day Detox Program. Find out more here.