Every single recipe (and ingredient) in the 2 week detox diet plan has been specifically chosen for its scientifically proven detoxification boosting benefits. In a nutshell, there are 2 phases of detoxification: Phase 1 and Phase 2.
• Phase 1: removes the toxin from the cell
• Phase 2: turns the toxin into a water soluble compound so we can excrete it from the body
Here are how the ingredients in this recipe help detoxification.
Turmeric: in addition to its inflammation fighting properties turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that helps your body move toxins through Phase 1 to Phase 2 detoxification safely.
Salmon: high in Omega-3 fatty acids that help with Phase 2 detoxification.
Cilantro: specifically helps with heavy metal detoxification.
Lime: high in Vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps your body move toxins through Phase 1 to Phase 2 detoxification safely.
Avocado: rich in glutathione, an antioxidant that is needed for Phase 2 detoxification.
Cabbage Slaw: contains sulfur and calcium-D-glucarate that upregulate Phase 2 detoxification.
Tacos: these tacos are packed with fibre that help move the toxins out of the body after Phase 2 detoxification. Flaxseed is especially beneficial for detoxifying estrogen.
Turmeric Salmon and Cilantro Lime Crema Soft Shell Tacos
Yields 2 servings
For the Salmon
• 2 salmon fillets
• Turmeric rub: mix together 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt.
For the Cilantro Lime Crema
• 1 ripe avocado
• Juice and zest of 1 lime
• ½ cup cilantro
• ¼ cup unsweetened plant based yoghurt
• ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
For the Soft Shell Tacos
• ½ cup coconut flour
• 3 tablespoons psyllium husk
• 1 tablespoons ground flaxseed
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 cup warm water
Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine thoroughly
Add the warm water and stir with a spoon until the mixture starts to come together. At this point use your hands to form a ball of dough.
Leave the dough to sit for 5 minutes.
Divide the dough evenly into 4 portions, and place in between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
Roll with a rolling pin until 1/8 inch thick.
Gently heat a little coconut or avocado oil in a non stick skillet and cook the tortillas for 3-4 minutes each side.
2. Once the tacos have been made, slice the salmon into 1 inch thick slices, and rub with the turmeric mixture.
Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large skillet, and cook until opaque (7-8 minutes).
3.Whilst the salmon is cooking make the Cilantro Lime Crema by placing all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
4. Assemble the tacos and top with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. I love to add a little prepared cabbage and carrot slaw for extra detox goodness!