28 Feb 14 Day Detox: Turmeric Salmon and Cilantro Lime Crema Soft Shell Tacos
Think you have to feel deprived whilst on a detox diet plan? Think again! My 14 Day Detox program is packed full of delicious and satisfying recipes all designed to boost detoxification whilst eating food you love. This recipe for Turmeric Salmon and Cilantro Lime Crema Soft Shell Tacos is my favourite dinner recipe from the program…
Every single recipe (and ingredient) in the 2 week detox diet plan has been specifically chosen for its scientifically proven detoxification boosting benefits. In a nutshell, there are 2 phases of detoxification: Phase 1 and Phase 2.
• Phase 1: removes the toxin from the cell
• Phase 2: turns the toxin into a water soluble compound so we can excrete it from the body
Here are how the ingredients in this recipe help detoxification.
Turmeric: in addition to its inflammation fighting properties turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that helps your body move toxins through Phase 1 to Phase 2 detoxification safely.
Salmon: high in Omega-3 fatty acids that help with Phase 2 detoxification.
Cilantro: specifically helps with heavy metal detoxification.
Lime: high in Vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps your body move toxins through Phase 1 to Phase 2 detoxification safely.
Avocado: rich in glutathione, an antioxidant that is needed for Phase 2 detoxification.
Cabbage Slaw: contains sulfur and calcium-D-glucarate that upregulate Phase 2 detoxification.
Tacos: these tacos are packed with fibre that help move the toxins out of the body after Phase 2 detoxification. Flaxseed is especially beneficial for detoxifying estrogen.
Turmeric Salmon and Cilantro Lime Crema Soft Shell Tacos
Yields 2 servings
For the Salmon
• 2 salmon fillets
• Turmeric rub: mix together 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt.
For the Cilantro Lime Crema
• 1 ripe avocado
• Juice and zest of 1 lime
• ½ cup cilantro
• ¼ cup unsweetened plant based yoghurt
• ¼ teaspoon Himalayan salt
For the Soft Shell Tacos
• ½ cup coconut flour
• 3 tablespoons psyllium husk
• 1 tablespoons ground flaxseed
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 cup warm water
- Start by making the soft shell tacos:
Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine thoroughly
Add the warm water and stir with a spoon until the mixture starts to come together. At this point use your hands to form a ball of dough.
Leave the dough to sit for 5 minutes.
Divide the dough evenly into 4 portions, and place in between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
Roll with a rolling pin until 1/8 inch thick.
Gently heat a little coconut or avocado oil in a non stick skillet and cook the tortillas for 3-4 minutes each side.
2. Once the tacos have been made, slice the salmon into 1 inch thick slices, and rub with the turmeric mixture.
Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large skillet, and cook until opaque (7-8 minutes).
3.Whilst the salmon is cooking make the Cilantro Lime Crema by placing all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
4. Assemble the tacos and top with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. I love to add a little prepared cabbage and carrot slaw for extra detox goodness!