I’m all for holiday treats, but I recommend to all my clients to avoid liquid sugars as much as possible as they are the definition of empty calories, and will cause blood sugar to spike, insulin to be released and fat storage to be accelerated.
And forget about that holiday glow – the combination of sugar plus inflammatory processed dairy can cause gas, bloating, breakouts and premature aging of the skin, not something I’m willing to suffer for one coffee (see second slide for the scary ingredients).
But help is at hand in the form of my Lean and Clean Peppermint Mocha – with just 65 cals per serving (125 if you add the coconut cream and chocolate chips) and NO added sugar you can enjoy this super festive treat and still feel light and bright afterwards – it even contains healthy fats and antioxidants to help you look and feel your best over the holidays…
For the coffee
• 1 shot organic espresso
• 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (steamed)
• 1 tablespoon organic cacao powder (I love Navitas Organics)
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3-4 drops peppermint essential oil
• 5-10 drops organic stevia
For the topping
• 2 tablespoons whipped coconut cream
• Sprinkle of sugar free chocolate chips (I love Lilys Sweets)
Blend the first 6 ingredients for 15-30 seconds, then top with the whipped coconut cream (I usually do this is the food processor for 3 minutes) and add the chocolate chips.